Pages

5.10.2012

somebody just moved in


On board an orange “Jeep ni Erap”, former President Joseph "Erap" Estrada moved residence from Greenhills, San Juan to Sta. Mesa, Manila, yesterday, 09 May 2012, in preparation for next year's midterm elections. The Local Government Code of 1991 requires for at least one (1) year residency preceding the day of election.  Without reservations, Erap indeed expressed his intention of running for the mayoralty post but claimed that he will be serving for one term only. With sentimentality, he said in the news report that he wanted to end his political career by serving the city where he was born. Erap was born in Tondo, Manila.
photo courtesy of www.inquirer.net
As a resident of Manila for all my life, I am very much concerned as to who will head the affairs of this city. For 30 years, I have witnessed how Manila lost its luster to the more modern cities like Makati and Quezon City. It felt that the perennial problems of this city such as peace and order, flood, and traffic, have worsened through the years. 

 I am ambivalent with Erap’s move. Perhaps, this is because I personally wished to live in San Juan as it gave me a sense of peace and security and I wonder if Erap can do the same to Manila as if he can pull out a magic wand and sprinkle fairy dust all over the city and make everything brand new. On the other hand, I have reservations knowing that several years ago, I went out into the streets to have him ousted as President. Yet, I wonder why does it feel that my gut is telling me he is fit for this job. Hmm… Perhaps I will vote for him. Or perhaps not. 

This is exciting.

No comments: